Ridgway Public Library 329 Center Street, Ridgway, PA 15853 email@example.com (814) 773-7573
The Ridgway Free Public Library
Established in 1899 by the Village Improvement Association (VIA), the Ridgway Free Public Library started out as a small library open only a few days a week in Mrs. Brook's house on Broad Street. The VIA members discussed considerations to form a public library for improving the cultural, civic, educational, and intellectual growth of Ridgway's citizens. When the Brook's family moved, the library was relocated to another building in 1904 and remained there until 1921. The building was marked for demolition and the VIA rallied community members to search for a larger and more permanent location for the Ridgway Public Library. Mrs. JKP Hall (Kate M Hall), an active member of the VIA, proposed the three-story mansion on 329 Center Street as a possible location. The home was built for local banker Madison S. Kline, and was sold to William E. Hall, son of Kate M. Hall in the early 1900s. In 1921, when William and his family moved to Connecticut, details were finalized and a deed was written up. The Ridgway Free Library Association assumed the $10,000 mortgage in 1922. In March 1922, the library opened its doors to the public.
Mission Statement: To ensure free access to information and literacy in a community-based environment that advocates and inspires learning, creative expression, and the sharing of information. Vision Statement: To promote personal and intellectual growth through equitable access to information, services, and resources to people of all ages and backgrounds.